Welcome to my blog. Sit back, have a cup of coffee and read about the latest.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

"Valentino The Last Emporer"

I watched the documentary "Valentino the Last Emporer" this week. It is all about the fashion designer Valentino and his last year of designing clothing. I found watching him go through his creative process very interesting. He does his drawing, drapes the fabric on a mannequin , the a model and then the clothing is sewn. He would ask everyone else their opinion. You would think he would be more sure of himself but he needed that reinforcement just like we do as artists. He had been a designer for 45 years! That is a long time to be in any business. His company was bought out by another firm and he retired shortly after that. He said he was interested in so many other things and wanted the time to pursue them. I can relate to that!

In my younger years my big dream was to be a fashion designer or an artist. I went to school in New York but I studied fashion buying and merchandising. I felt because I wasn't good at sewing I would be at a disadvantage compared to the other people and I would have been. My creative spirit never died and now I get to pursue that through my painting. I need Valentino's stick- to- it-tiveness. I didn't get back to my painting until I was 40 so if I stick with this for 45 years I will be 85 and a really good painter!

No comments:

Post a Comment