Welcome to my blog. Sit back, have a cup of coffee and read about the latest.

Friday, October 1, 2010

More on Artprize



We went back to Grand Rapids to see more of Artprize on Sunday. If you don't know anything about Artprize it is an art competition in Grand Rapids, Michigan which runs from September 22-October 10. Art is hung in 192 venues including outdoor spaces. Paintings, prints, drawings, sculpture, video all are available for viewing. The top prize winners are picked not by a juror but by the public. The top prizes total $450,000 which is an unheard of amount!

We parked near the Grand Rapids Public Museum in a parking structure. The Museum holds 72 pieces of art. I can't say I remember all of the pieces titles or the artists names but I can tell you what stood out to me. Many of the artists were on site and answered peoples questions.

On the way to the museum we walked past several large sculptures. One that stood out to me was a deconstructed car that looked like it was sinking. I thought the artist was making a statement about the sinking auto industry in Detroit. That is my first photo.

Other pieces that I loved was "Reminisence" by Jennifer Surine. Her piece was made from sterling silver shaped in loops and twirls and hung from fishing line. It was ethereal looking. It reminded me of jewelery or small wire chandeliers. The artists said it took her 17 hours to hang.

The second photo is the painting "Uprising of Sausages and hot dogs" by Sergery Tyukanov. Apologies if I spelled that wrong. It reminds me of Bruegel paintings where the streets are crowded with people drinking and dancing in the Medieval times. The artists said the painting is about our civilization that is constantly consuming.

I will continue on Artprize in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment